Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Of disappointment and really predictable metaphors...

I was most saddened to read today about the (unconfirmed but exceedingly likely) demise of the Libertarian Party. For the first time in my life I thought I'd found somewhere I belonged.

However, this was how it turned out for me, through the use of a pretty basic analogy:

I felt as though I'd arrived really late to a house party, where you pick your way through the puddles of vomit and the bloodstains, realising that something unpleasant had gone down here quite recently, and starting to wonder if it is a place you want to be after all.

Shortly after arriving, you are informed that it's a shame you didn't get there earlier, as such-and-such and so-and-so were here, but they'd decided to do one after some trouble kicked off.

Looking around, you see that there are a few people left, but after the tales just told, decide to give them a wide berth and instead hover near the doorway.

There are some really nice people there, but they all seem to be reaching for their jackets.  They're heading off, either home to nurse the disappointment that events turned sour and resolving to be a loner from here onwards, or nipping up to one of the other houses on the street - where there are other dos going on which aren't *quite* what they were looking for, but they may be able to turn them around once they're through the door...

And so, before even taking off my coat, I spun on my heel and headed for one of those bigger houses.  I look forward to being part of the libertarian contingent there.  Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment